Summer Camp at Pretty Lake
Summer camp can be a powerful experience in a child’s life. It can be a time to explore, laugh, learn and develop independence. Pretty Lake Camp provides a unique residential camp experience that resonates with children throughout their lifetime.
Children are selected to attend our camp based on need – whether financial, social or emotional. During their time here, campers are given the chance to be outdoors, play, try new activities, learn to swim, have fun, and meet new people. All of this helps to build a child’s self-esteem, independence, skills, and ability to care for others.
For over a century, we have welcomed over 50,000 children! In all our programs, over 800 campers will attend Pretty Lake Camp this summer. We are excited about this summer and hope your child will be one of our campers!
We offer 7-day/5-night sessions to Kalamazoo area children, each program based on their age and experience level.
Listed below are some of the many activities we offer at Pretty Lake Camp. All activities are supervised by trained staff including certified lifeguards and instructors.
- Archery – learn proper use of equipment and go for a shot at the bull’s-eye.
- Biking – riding mountain bikes around the camp property.
- Boating – canoes, kayaks, pontoon boat, and sailboats for lessons and leisure.
- Campfire – skits and songs to delight campers of all ages.
- Crafts – projects and lessons in arts using nature and other materials.
- Field Sports – learning and playing field games such as disc golf and baseball.
- Performing Arts – playing instruments, singing and even dancing at Camp.
- Environmental Education skills – learning about the natural environment and outdoor skills using our beautiful facility.
- Swimming – leisure in Pretty Lake.
- Low ropes course – this is a course which is 2-5 feet off the ground under the supervision of Adventure Centre staff.
For those who meet safety and age requirements.
Challenge Courses – Try the high confidence course with elements 25-30 feet above ground wearing a safety harness and helmet or tackle our 35-foot rock wall wearing a safety harness and helmet.
Inpost (Grades 3, 4 & 5)
Our Inpost program welcomes girls and boys who are currently in the 3rd, 4th or 5th grade. During each of the six camp sessions, up to 108 campers will enjoy a variety of fun and safe activities in a co-ed camp setting.
Outpost (Grades 6 & 7)
Our Outpost program welcomes girls and boys who are currently in the 6th or 7th grade. During each of the five camp sessions, up to 36 campers will enjoy a variety of fun and safe activities in a co-ed camp setting, including an off-site trip.
Leaders-in-Training (Grades 8 & 9)
Our Leaders-in-Training (LIT) program welcomes youth who are currently in the 8th and 9th grades. Campers must apply to participate in this program. During one session, up to 36 campers will enjoy an advanced camping experience in addition to traditional camp activities.
Pretty Lake Ambassadors (Grades 10 & 11)
Our Pretty Lake Ambassadors program welcomes new applicants who are currently in the 9th grade (2018-2019 school year) and second year Ambassadors. As with the LIT program, campers must apply to participate in this program. Pretty Lake Ambassadors serve as a year-round youth advisory for Pretty Lake Camp, and are able to work with younger campers while under the direct supervision, and with the support of, seasoned staff members and mentors.
What Pretty Lake Camp Provides
Pretty Lake Camp provides everything a camper needs to make his or her week at camp a success – free of charge. We do this in order to remove any barriers that might keep them from being able to attend camp. We provide the following:
- Adaptable healthcare in an inclusive and active camp environment
- Bedding, towels, clothing , swimwear, and personal hygiene items (toothpaste/brush, deodorant, sun screen, shampoo, etc.)
- Transportation to and from camp registration in downtown Kalamazoo
- All food and basic health care
- Supervised programs and activities
- All arts and crafts materials and supplies
Your child does not need to bring anything with them to camp. If you prefer, your child can bring underwear, socks and a bathing suit. If for whatever reason you can’t provide this, we can give these items to your child.
No Cost to Kids (or their Families)
We are able to provide everything at no cost because of the support of others. Camp is made possible through financial donations of all amounts from others, in-kind donations from our wish list, and income from renting our facilities for meetings, gatherings or events. We rely on others passing the word about our programs!
Pretty Lake Camp Staff
We strive to hire the very best summer camp staff who have a heart for children, and who enjoy and respect children. Our staff go through intensive training and screening before the camp sessions begin, along with on-going training throughout the summer.
Our staff’s main priority is the safety and well-being of our campers, while creating a community that encourages campers to develop confidence, self-esteem, respect for themselves and others while having a fun and memorable time at camp.