Explorers (Ages 8-9)
Our Explorers program is for campers who at camp time are ages 8-9. During their time at Pretty Lake Camp, campers are given the opportunity to explore the outdoors, try different activities, and develop their independence. By living and interacting with our fun-loving summer camp staff and each other, children learn valuable, positive social skills that they can use for years to come. For many of our campers, our Explorers program is their first experience with summer camping – an experience that will last a lifetime!
During camp session, up to 90 campers will enjoy a variety of fun and safe activities in an inclusive camp setting. Campers will sleep in cabins with 15 campers and 3 counselors.
Summer is a very special time when a child seeks to learn, explore and develop new skills, hobbies and interests. Our Explorers program is full of many different, fun and challenging activities for our campers. Activities include: canoeing/kayaking, environmental education, swimming, outdoor cooking, archery, arts & crafts, team-building, campfires, games, and much more! Through the use of scheduled activity periods, each camper can experience a well-rounded program that includes athletics, aquatics, creative arts and outdoor adventure. Check out our sample daily schedule!
Sample Daily Camp Schedule
|7:30 a.m.||Rise ‘n’ Shine|
|8:45 a.m.||Cabin Clean-up|
|9:00 a.m.||Activity #1|
|10:00 a.m.||Activity #2|
|11:00 a.m.||Activity #3|
|12:45 p.m.||Rest Hour|
|1:50 p.m.||Specialized Activity (Cabin Choice Activity)|
|3:25 p.m.||Activity #4|
|4:30 p.m.||Activity #5|
|7:00 p.m.||All Camp Activity or cookout with cabin|
|8:30 p.m.||Meds/Flag Lowering|
|10:00 p.m.||Lights Out|
Pretty Lake’s core summer mission is to provide free summer camp to eligible students. Campers are selected on a need basis, we also have general and specific guidelines campers must meet in order to be considered for the program. The general requirements for our campers are: must be managed socially and behaviorally in a group with one staff and eight campers, and independent in their self-care skills. Selection will not be based on individual’s race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, height, weight, ability or any other legally protected status. Only residents of Kalamazoo County or attending school in Kalamazoo County or Mattawan School District are eligible. The specific requirements for each program are listed below:
Explorer Application Process
Eligible applicants are accepted on a first come basis and we may not be able to accommodate every camper that applies.
Apply on-line at prettylakecamp.campbrainregistration.com or call for a paper application at 269-375-1950.
What to Bring to Camp
- A comfortable pair of tennis shoes (wear them to arrival, please don’t wear sandals).
- Prescription drugs must be in their original container. Pretty Lake Camp will only administer prescriptions to the child whose name is on the container’s label. We must also give your child the dose that is listed on the container.
- Campers do not need to bring anything with them – we provide everything a camper will need for a week. However, campers may bring four pairs of socks; four pairs of underwear; and a bathing suit (one-piece only for girls). If your child does bring these items, please label each item with your child’s name or initials.
- If campers bring anything else, it will be sent back with parents/guardians on arrival day.
Please leave these items at home:
- Alcohol, illegal drugs, fireworks, money or weapons
- Cell phones, tablets or other handheld electronics
- Expensive or brand name clothing/shoes/jewelry
- Digital cameras, video cameras and any music or MP3 players
- Personal sports equipment
Get more information
For more information on attending our free summer camp program please fill out the form below